Common ENT Problems

Hoarseness (Vocal Cord Problem)

Oftentimes, children have hoarseness that can be quite pronounced and quite prolonged in its course. If a child has hoarseness for longer than 60 days, they should probably be evaluated by an ear, nose, and throat doctor. If the child has dysphonia or hoarseness for longer than 60 days and the child is known to be a vocal abuser or one that raises his voice, often a period of vocal rest is necessary. If the problem has been since birth and the problem has been prolonged, oftentimes the child will have to be examined under anesthesia with a lighted tube called a laryngoscope. The actual surgery itself is called a laryngoscopy and oftentimes a microscope is used to examine the small vocal cords and any lesions that may occur on the vocal cords. Congenital problems can occur in which the vocal cords are webbed together. Vocal cords can also have small lesions on them called vocal nodules or vocal polyps. Viruses can cause papillomas on the child's vocal cords leading to breathing disorders. In any event, the child should be evaluated by a board-certified ear, nose, and throat doctor. Oftentimes, the procedure to diagnose the problem can be performed in an outpatient surgical center at the Pediatric Ear, Nose, & Throat Center. We have been diagnosing and treating children for over 25 years with chronic hoarseness and vocal cord issues. If you suspect your child has prolonged hoarseness or a voice disorder, please contact our clinic at 1-800-526-0998 for an evaluation.